RE-clear coat and RE-color sand and RE-buff
|So, after about 8 hours of sanding with 1200 grit paper, I managed to eliminate all the orange-peel and smooth out the entire car. I had no fingerprints left after a weekend of sanding. Then I spent 5 hours with the buffer and the two stages of compound to get the finish you see here. It looked pretty good for a first-time garage paint job. There's a few mistakes, and I know exactly where they are. There are also a few minor scratches that showed up.
|This is the buffing compound. I first used the stuff in the black container with a wool buff, and then moved on to the white container with a foam buff. It was very messy, spreading compound all over the spray booth and all over me, but the results were worth it.
|This is the base coat paint that I used. PPG Deltron, British Racing Green, an OEM Jaguar color code DBC 44524 and Polar White, an OEM Suzuki color, code DBC 90606.
|Here's the Urethane clear. It was pretty expensive and I had about 1/3 gallon left after finishing the car. It needs a hardener and a reducer. I talked to the guy at the paint shop and he said, " Dude, just scuff up the car with 400 grit and then shoot another coat of clear -it'll be awesome and give the paint amazing depth! With one coat, you shouldn't have any orange-peel and you'll be done!" Cool! I'll do it!
|So, I scuffed up the whole car with 400 grit paper (it was hard to bring myself to scratch up the nicely buffe surface, but I did it) and since the weather was about 15 degrees cooler, I used a different reducer. Well, stupid me. I sprayed the clear just like I did for the first coats, but due to the different reducer, cooler temperature and some operator error, I managed to Drip and orange-peel around the whole car! AAAAAAGH! Here you can see one of the drips. I scuffed it with some sandpaper to make it show up better.
|Here's the orange peel.....So...back to wet sanding the car with 400 grit and then ANOTHER respray of the clear. This time it turned out okay, but had a little orange peel.
|Again, the 8+ hours of colorsanding the clear with 1200 grit paper. This is a door almost finished
|And the rear driver's side fender, finished wet-sanding and ready for buffing. I managed not to burn through the paint with the buffer by taping the sharp edges with masking tape.
|And, after another 4+ hours of buffing and a sore back, I've got a shiny car again. This weekend I hope to attach some suspension pieces! But we're going to the Sand Car Challenge in Casa Grande, Arizona.
|Oh, and I painted the dash, too. I used Rustoleum hammered finish paint and I think it looks good. I did not want the factory crinkle finish.